Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

BLOBs: Multiple feature requests

Hi team

first of all thank you for the fixes just pushed - list files works perfectly.

The intention with the lowcode script I was trying to use this in was to
1. browse a folder containing mp4 videos
2. upload them to the cloud for use in an app.

The first request is an issue I've had with LiveCloud as well: uploading a blob does not retain the filename or modifiable metadata for the file and essentially just contains a UUID and an extension. Therefore working with BLOBs is not possible unless I also create a kind of join table to include the BLOB UUID and metadata, whereas this could be solved easily by including the filename as a key in the cdbBlobs table. This is fine and it works but is extra work.

In Appli, this script uploads the BLOBs and populates a separate table with their IDs and filenames. This works but may not be the most efficient:

So the first question is: can I use blobType in livecloud with the filename instead of the extension to make up for this? (I attempted to create. new key in the cdbBlobs table but that caused catastrophic errors only solved when I deleted the project...).
The second question is: was there an easier way to achieve the tasks shown in the script above?

If not, then the first feature request is: would it be possible to consider adding a "description" key in cdbBlobs that could for example be populated with the filename by default?

Another issue I've had with BLOBs is that create blob has been implemented as a non-blocking action - but there is as far as I can see no way to set up a callback/notification for when upload has been completed. Since there is no batch upload in Appli (as far as I can see), that means this is a stepwise process and there is no way for the app to know when the process has been completed.

So my second feature request is: please consider implementing callbacks for BLOB actions in Appli and BLOB handlers in LiveCloud 
As far as I can see there is no easy way to periodically poll this from Appli so I dont' think I can work around this; and in LiveCode + LiveCloud it would mean setting up a recurring handler to check if the number of records in LiveCloud matches the number of records the handler knows it has uploaded - again a lot of extra and possibly error-prone work.

If adding a callback isn't feasible, is it possible to have an option to make this a blocking action, so the script cannot proceed until upload is complete?

Many thanks once again,
Stam

Messages In This Thread
BLOBs: Multiple feature requests - by stam66 - 10-11-2024, 12:59 AM
RE: BLOBs: Multiple feature requests - by linda - Yesterday, 01:26 AM
RE: BLOBs: Multiple feature requests - by stam66 - Yesterday, 02:35 PM